Atico Laptop Img

Want to have a chat with a family lawyer?

Meet with our Clarity Lawyers in Newcastle & Maitland or request an online consultation from anywhere in Australia

What is involved in getting a divorce when married for less than two years?

In cases where parties wish to divorce within two years of the date of their marriage, the Court will require them to attend family counselling and discuss the prospect of reconciliation. This can be arranged by us at your request.  The counsellor will provide you with a counselling certificate which will need to be filed with your divorce application. 


There are a few exceptions to the requirement to file a counselling certificate. For example, if there has been family violence or you cannot locate your husband/wife.  In these cases you will be required to file an Affidavit (sworn statement) setting out your evidence as to why you cannot obtain a counselling certificate.  We can draft this Affidavit for you after a short consultation.  

Once this requirement has been met you can then prepare either a joint or a sole application for divorce. 

Have a family law related enquiry?

Get in touch with us now!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Oap Close
Not in Newscastle, no problem
online consulations available

Share This

Select your desired option below to share a direct link to this page